February 19, 2010
By S. Matthew Liao
AHRC workshop on “The Future of Consent”
Date: March 22nd-24th 2010
Location: Chancellor’s Conference Centre, Manchester
There are a limited number of places available for a two day interdisciplinary and international workshop—The Future of Consent—organised by Neil Manson and Dave Archard (Lancaster) and funded by the AHRC with additional support from the Society for Applied Philosophy.
Speakers and topics include:
* Onora O’Neill (British Academy/House of Lords): ‘Consent, Trust and Mediated Communication’
* Paul S. Appelbaum (Columbia): ‘Consent to Research’
* Jerry Gaus (Arizona): ‘Justification, Choice, and Promise: Rescuing the Consent Tradition from Anarchism’
* Margot Brazier (Manchester): ‘What is Consent for?’
* Michael Schober (New School for Social Research, New York): ‘Standardized language and consent forms’
* Qiu Renzong (Institute of Philosophy, Beijing, PRC): ‘Consent in China and the West’
* Simona Botti (London Business School): ‘The psychological pleasure and pain of choosing’
* John Christman (Penn State): ‘Diachronic Autonomy’
* Torbjorn Tannsjo (Stockholm):’Informed Consent in the Clinic and in Research. Should we use the same standards?’
Respondents are Michael A. Jones (Liverpool); Martin O’Neill (York); Angus Dawson (Keele); Mike Parker (Oxford); Dave Archard (Lancaster); Neil Manson (Lancaster) Zhai Xiaomei (Beijing).
Workshop website and draft programme:
Registration: including meals and accommodation is £220. Payment and registration can be made online at: http://tinyurl.com/y94mygg
Five graduate places at subsidised rate: There are five bursaries of £100 each, funded by the Society for Applied Philosophy, which are available to graduate students working in relevant areas and who may benefit from attendance at the workshop. Applications should be made to n.manson (at) lancaster.ac.uk with a covering note and a brief (one page max) summary CV. Successful applicants will be informed (by email) and must then register and pay online. A £100 refund will be paid by cheque.
For further information: n.manson (at) lancaster.ac.uk